Questions to Ask a Contractor’s References
To protect yourself, always check the contractor's references. This is an essential stage of qualifying the right person for your project. Here are just a few questions to ask previous customers:
- Could they communicate well with the remodeler?
- Were they pleased with the quality of work? (This is a tough question, however, since everyone defines "quality" differently. It is much better to ask to see the completed project to determine the level of quality for yourself.)
- Were they satisfied with the remodeler's business practices?
- Did the crew show up on time?
- Were they comfortable with the subcontractors who were hired?
- Was the job completed on schedule?
- Did the remodeler fulfill his or her contract?
- Did the contractor stay in touch throughout the project?
- Were the final details finished in a timely manner?
- Would you use the remodeler again without hesitation?
This article was submitted by The National Association of the Remodeling Industry, which is committed to educating both trade professionals and remodeling-ready homeowners. NARI does this by reaching out to a diverse audience in a variety of formats including education, training, publications and programs. Contact NARI at (800) 611-6274. Submission of this article does not imply an endorsement or recommendation of the Financial Resource Center site.Go to main navigation